Monday 14 March 2016

** Yorkshire Dales Family Vacation - 2016 **

Soaking-up the history, whilst exploring the grounds of a local castle !


Bolton Castle is a 14th century fortification, which is located less than 12 miles from our holiday cottage in the Yorkshire Dales. The castle is a grade 1 listed building which was damaged during the English Civil war, however much of the structure still remains intact to this day. We certainly had fun exploring both inside and out during our visit too. Although we were rather surprised to discover that the castle was actually colder INSIDE than out ... How odd, hey.
But anyway ...
Bolton Castle's most famous former-resident was probably Mary, Queen of Scots, who was imprisoned here for 6 months in the year 1568. So it seems the castle has seen it's share of royalty throughout the years. But then, I guess that's hardly surprising, considering it's a castle after all !
Rocky, the girls, and I enjoyed our little adventure a great deal. It was amazing to see how the wealthy elite lived hundreds of years ago. But even though I'm technically a princess, and as such supposed to feel at home in such grand historic structures as this, I have to say that I think I rather prefer the cosy and relatively modern comforts of my little dolls-house home, to a drafty, cold, damp, stone castle.
Mind you, apparently Ruby and Emma decided they wouldn't mind moving in and living like 'Proper' Princess's. Bless 'em, I'm sure they'd change their minds as soon as night fell though, and they discovered there was no heating, electricity, nor lights. Castle life was NOT as glamorous as we'd like to think, that's for sure !
However it's nice to look back and get a glimpse into those days of old none the less.
More holiday piccys to follow another day ...


You can check out my blog about my life as a Disney doll, including many many photos of my adventures, on my facebook page here ... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ella-The-World-According-to-a-Disney-Doll/150797015075007

No comments:

Post a Comment