Thursday 26 May 2016

** Our Family Vacation In The Lake District – May 2016 **

Lakes2016_4b
Day 4 – A Pleasant Ramble Through The Forest … But I Cant See The Wood For The Trees. Are We LOST ?!
Having had a well earned rest during our seaside excursion, by the 4th day of our holiday my twisted ankle was thankfully feeling much better again … Phew ! But my inquisitive daughters and their intrepid father were itching for some more excitement and adventure by now. Hmmmmmm, here we go again …
What better place to satisfy such a craving however, than the very forest area in which our holiday cottage was situated !? … Now there’s a plan indeed !
But would my plucky family think the same though ?? It was time to find out …
As it happens, the girls were rather more keen than I anticipated, and Rocky had no objections either … O–kay, I wasn’t quite expecting that. Ummmm, what now ?!! … I guess we’d better get going, hey.
So with minimal preparations the four of us headed off into the depths of this lovely woodland wilderness, on an impromptu expedition into the unknown … Ooooooh !
Grizedale Forest is a 24.47 km² area of woodland in the Lake District, situated between the lakes of Coniston and Windermere. It is made up of a number of hills, small tarns (such as our own Lake Dolly) and the settlements of Grizedale and Satterthwaite, which is only about 1.5-ish miles from our holiday cottage in the VERY tiny Hamlet of Force Forge.
The forest itself is supposedly an ideal place to go walking in the shelter of the trees, and is also a haven for wildlife. Being home to the only remaining indigenous woodland herd of red deer in England. There are also roe deer living in the forest, while the birds include buzzards and barn owls, as well as red kites, thanks to the recent Grizedale Red Kite re-introduction project.
With this in mind, Ruby and Emma were enthralled with the idea of trying to spot as many creatures as possible on our journey … Bless ’em, hey. Whilst we weren’t actually lucky enough to see any deer though, we did see many lovely birds on our travels, which the little cuties were eager to point out to Rocky and I at every opportunity. They found the whole woodland adventure VERY exciting indeed.
It was a wonderful day filled with some lovely family bonding moments. Mind you, I was a tad concerned at one point that we may end up getting lost in the depths of this seemingly never-ending forest … All this green and trees started to look rather samey to me after a while, and I didn’t have a clue where we were to tell the truth either … Ummmmm, Eeeeek !!
But I never let-on about my concerns to the girls though … I hope ?! …. Hmmmm, but anyway ….
Thankfully Rocky has a GREAT sense of direction, so he’d been carefully maneuvering our route the entire time to take us on a nice little circular tour which ended up right back at the holiday cottage where we started … Phew, nothing to worry about after all !
Not that I was panicking or anything … Ahem !
Back to my point again though …. It was strange to think that we were over half way through our vacation now, and I must admit I was a little sad about that realisation in some ways too … However, on a more positive note, it was nice to know we had a couple more days of adventure still to come none the less.
More on all THAT another time though ….
You can check out my blog about my life as a Disney doll, including many many photos of my adventures, on my facebook page here … https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ella-The-World-According-to-a-Disney-Doll/150797015075007

No comments:

Post a Comment