Wednesday 26 October 2016

** Out for a quiet stroll, and making friends with a wee native beastie – Mooooo !! **

scotland_2016_8
The “McRocky” Family’s Scottish Highland Holiday 2016.
As much as I enjoyed spending time with my family during the course of our Scotland vacation, we still all need a little time to ourselves every now and again, don’t we. To clear the head, recharge and whatnot.
So, whilst Rocky was busy with the girls in the holiday cottage garden, playing a made-up game he called ‘Hunt-the-Thistle’, I decided to take advantage of this rare opportunity, and have a little stroll around the surrounding area by myself … I wasn’t a great distance from the house in all honesty, but it was far enough to give me a much needed breather all the same.
It was wonderful stretching the old legs, and absorbing all that lovely peace and tranquillity. I even found a thistle too, as it happens. So I made sure to pick it, to take back for Ruby and Emma … Most of all though, I loved the quiet solitude. It was just me and nature. I could actually HEAR my own thoughts again … It was such a relief. There was no squealing or droning chatter from my daughters and husband to distract me. There was just the gentle sound of the grass swishing past my shoes, the twittering birds in the tree’s, and a … Moooooooooooo !!
Ummmm, hello ? … What was THAT ?? I thought to myself rather worriedly.
When I turned however, I was somewhat surprised by the sight of a Highland Cow (Or as the Scots call them, ‘Hairy Coo’) standing right behind me …. Ooooh-errr !! Where did HE come from ??
Highland cattle are a breed which originated in the Highlands and Western Isles of Scotland, they were first mentioned in the 6th century AD. They have long horns and long wavy coats. They’re a hardy breed, due to their native environment, and have been described as almost as cold-tolerant as the arctic-dwelling reindeer. It seems they’re somewhat of a Scottish treasure … But somehow I wasn’t expecting a close encounter with one during our holiday.
O–kay … What now ??
As it happens, the wee coo was a friendly little beastie. He even let me stroke him … But to be frank, he seemed more than a little interested in the thistle which I’d picked for the girls during the course of my stroll. “Mooooooooo !!” he kept telling me as he reached for it … Right !
I tried to suggest that he didn’t want to eat it REALLY. But considering the fact that I don’t actually speak cow, in the end it was no use … He gobbled the whole thing down, and was apparently quite happy about it an’all.
I guess THAT’S the end of that then.
So, I had nothing to show for my adventure when I returned to my family at last. But, it seems that the tale of my encounter with the friendly ‘Hairy Coo’ was much more exciting for Ruby and Emma anyway … Kids, hey !!
But moving along again … That’s all for now folks. However there’s more to come from our Scottish adventures another day … See ye soon.
Love from,
Ella x
You can check out my blog about my life as a Disney doll, including many many photos of my adventures, on my facebook page here … https://www.facebook.com/EllaDisneyDoll/

No comments:

Post a Comment