Thursday 11 October 2012

Chapter 30 - "All The Things She Said" - 11th October 2012.

Some INTERESTING facts come to light when Rocky decides to PROPERLY introduce me to his sister at last ! Gulp !! ...

You can find the FULL story on my facebook blog here ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.152230641598311.35432.150797015075007&type=3
 You can check out the music slideshow to this chapter on Youtube here ... http://youtu.be/s7wnB1myBwM

Chapter 30 - "All The Things She Said".

I had been dreading this day for a while now, ever since I had discovered my teeny, tiny, little, humungous mistake when Rocky and I had been fighting the other week … today was the day he wanted me to meet his sister, Crystal !

It wasn’t that I didn’t want to meet his family, as I did, its just after I had made such a complete idiot of myself in front of her, believing she was Rocky’s long lost lover, and running off balling my eyes out, I sort of felt ever so worried about having to face her again … I mean, what must she think of me after that rather overly dramatic display ?!

We were late, and Rocky held my hand, almost hurrying me along to try and make up some time. I wasn’t intentionally dragging my feet, but as I was so very on edge I think my subconscious was interfering with my coordination, as I kept almost tripping over my own feet as we rushed along.

By now Rocky was starting to get an idea of my reluctance and stopped in his tracks, he looked at me rather seriously as he asked “What’s wrong Sweetheart ? … are you ok ?” I think he could tell by the scared, rabbit in headlights, look on my face that I was genuinely concerned, so changed his tone to be much more playful as he continued “You don’t want to go change again do you ? … Coz, you know this must have been the 4th or 5th dress you tried on before we left”

I knew he was trying to make me laugh, and it worked. But then I started to wonder if I had in fact chosen the right outfit to try and make a good impression … hmm maybe I should have stuck with the pink dress, I pondered to myself ?
“Oh Ella” Rocky declared almost shaking his head, he was trying so hard not to laugh, even though I hadn’t said a thing, he knew that I was thinking about my dress again “Crystal wants to meet you, not your clothes … besides, you know how much I love seeing you as my Lady in Red !”.

I smiled and giggled a little, but he could still see that there was more on my mind than what I was wearing “My Darling, will you please just tell me what’s wrong ? I cant help if you wont tell me”.

How could I possibly tell him that I was petrified of meeting his sister ? Especially after what he bore from my own twin, when I had introduced them the other week. But then he obviously knew something was worrying me, so how could I lie to him ? I still felt ever so guilty about the little false truth I had told him the other day, when he had asked me what Prince Prettyboy wanted, so didn’t feel that I could handle the pressure of adding another lie into the equation … oh god, what should I do ?

In the end I decided that I had to say how I was feeling, it would not have been fair to him if I didn’t, so tried to compose myself a little to explain.

“I’m … well … I’m sort of … scared” I admitted a little worriedly.

Rocky looked so very concerned as he replied gently “Sweetheart, what are you scared of ? … is it just meeting Crystal ? Or is there something else ?”.

I still didn’t quite know how to put my feelings into words, so in the end just decided to come out and say exactly what was on my mind, as the pressure of keeping it in was getting rather awful. “I’m scared she’ll hate me” I blurted in my usual blunt tone “I made such an idiot of myself the other week, when I saw you and her together … she must already think I’m totally stupid, I just don’t want to make things even worse” I was jabbering non-stop, as is usual when I get a bit flustered, but then came over a little shy and sadder as I added “I just .. I … I really wanted to make a good impression, so she could see that I’m worthy of you, but I’ve already messed it all up … she must already have a rather vivid first impression of me, and nothing I can ever say or do will change that !”.

“Ella, you really don’t need to worry” replied Rocky compassionately “Sweetheart, Crystal hasn’t got a bad impression of you, if anything she has been worrying all this time that you wont like her after what went down. She feels awful about how she upset you … why do you think she’s been keeping her distance until now ? … she’s been giving you some time to recover. She was so very concerned that she had spoiled everything between you and I, and wanted to make sure we were all solid again before properly meeting you” he then smiled and sighed a little as he continued “I dunno, what are you girls like, hey ? … I try to tell you both everything will be fine, but you get an idea in your heads and just sit there panicking yourselves silly about it …I think you both need your heads banging together to sort you out” he chuckled a little, and I smiled at that comment, he then finished by asking me so very sweetly “I am not going to force you, but will you please just give it a go … for me ? I promise everything will be fine”.

How could I possibly say no when he was being so lovely, and I really couldn’t stand the thought of disappointing him. So nodded softly and said “OK” in an almost whispering tone … Oh god, I think I am more nervous about this than I was for my first date with Rocky !!
As we peered round the corner where Crystal was waiting we could instantly see that she was not alone, she was chatting to Calamity & Reid, who were out for a ride on Dallas together. They had been almost inseparable since Calam had discovered Reid in the box of old doll parts, they loved nothing more than going for rides and enjoying other general cowboy pursuits. I was so happy for her, she finally had someone to share all her interests with, and it was even better that it was someone she had cared about all those years ago … I did wonder though, if they had not been separated by the cruel turn of fate ,would they have been married by now ? … Oooh I wonder if that’s something that could possibly be on the cards in the future of my favourite cowgirl pal ? … Oh my word … what am I doing ? Oh dear I really need to get my mind off weddings and proposals, I was starting to worry that this was becoming a bit of an obsession. But at the time, I think I wanted my brain to focus on anything that would take my mind off the worry of meeting Crystal.
Calamity & Reid were still deep in conversation with Crystal when we started to approach, I guess when I think about it, they must have known each other quite well from Holly’s childhood and were probably just catching up a bit.

Crystal waved at us enthusiastically from her little spot on the dining table chair, and Rocky acknowledged her, also shouting up “Hey Sis … how the heck did you get up there ?”. I thought that was a rather curious comment, after all Rocky and I were climbing up on things much higher than that all the time … hmmm I definitely think there is more to this ? But now is probably not the time to ask.
Seeing that we had now arrived, Calam and Reid waved to us and galloped off, they must have known this was supposed to be a big deal kind of family moment, and didn’t want to intrude. Crystal looked a little nervous as she sat there waiting for us, maybe Rocky was right ? Maybe she was just as worried about this whole thing as I was ?
As we got closer to the dining chair, Rocky turned to me and said ever so warmly “It’ll be fine my Darling, you just wait and see … look I’ll tell you what, we don’t have to stay long if you don’t want to, you just let me know if it gets a bit much for you … ok ?”.

He's always so supportive of my silly little emotional quirks, and never seems to judge me, no matter how daft I'm being at the time … god, he really must love me an awful lot to put up with the emotional mess that I can sometimes become !
We climbed up onto the dining chair where Crystal was sitting, and I tentatively sat myself alongside her. As she turned to greet me, I instantly noticed what Rocky had told me about her head and neck movement problem, she could manage a little with it but seemed to more use her waist joint rather than neck to turn in my direction as she shook my hand. I felt rather sorry for her, but like Rocky had said, I guess this was better than the alternative.

“It’s so lovely to finally meet you Ella” said Crystal so full of enthusiasm “Rocky has told me so much about you, I already feel as though I almost know you” Oh … I wonder what he has said about me ?

I think Crystal could instantly tell that her comment had worried me a little and continued adding “Oh don’t worry, its all good I promise … in fact the way he describes you, makes you sound almost too good to be true” Oh no … that’s even worse, now there’s an image of perfection that I know I can never live up to !
As Rocky and Crystal continued to chat with one another a little, I realised that she was in some ways so very much like my dearest love, there were certainly similarities in their mannerisms, and the way they expressed themselves, she also seemed quite a smiley person too, just like Rocky. And even though there was no physical family resemblance between them, it was clear they were siblings who had, for want of a better phrase, grown up together. I know that sounds odd as us dolls don’t exactly grow up, but they had been with one another for 29 years, that’s an awfully long time in doll terms.
I watched as Rocky joked with, laughed, and teased his sister, it had that almost annoying big brotherly quality to the way he was with her, although it was clear she meant a great deal to him. I started to get the impression that he must only ever play about with the people who he really cares about, and was glad to know that included me. Crystal however was not nearly as gullible as I am, and so managed to give almost as good as she got, it was a little like watching a tennis match as I tried to follow the banter being batted back and forth between them. I felt a little jealous and sad that I didn’t have that kind of close sibling relationship with any of my sisters, but you never know, when I am 29 years old perhaps I will do ?!

I was so deep in my own thoughts, I hadn’t really been following the conversation properly so felt a little lost and embarrassed when Crystal said to me “ … Oh don’t you listen to a word he says Ella, he’s just trying to bait me as usual … I tell you what, Brothers are a complete pain, especially this one … Urgh !!” she then grinned every so playfully and laughed at the whole thing, which in turn made Rocky chuckle as well. I was kind of sorry I had missed the start of the conversation now, as it sounded rather amusing with the way it ended.
 Crystal then appeared to recognise that I was feeling a little out of the loop, with all the sibling banter that had been occupying them, they were sort of missing the point of this little get together. So she turned to me much more seriously and asked “So Ella, tell me some more about yourself … ooh I know, how did you and Rocky meet ? I bet that’s an interesting story” she then leaned over and said rather sneakily “but honestly, I don’t know what you see in him though?” and gave me a playfully jesting wink so I would know she didn’t really mean it.

“Oi, watch it!!” replied Rocky, laughing away at his sisters teasing tone.

I felt sure that Rocky must have already told Crystal how we had met, but I guess she was trying to make an effort to include me a little more in the conversation, and I did appreciate that. Although, when I thought about it, I hadn’t a clue how to make the beginning of mine and Rocky’s tale sound that interesting.

“Well, there’s not much to tell really” I said a little shyly “Calamity introduced us, when I met her not long after I arrived in the house … oh, and Rocky helped me climb up onto the sofa”.
Rocky was now chuckling as he joined in adding “I think there was a little more to it than that Sweetheart” he looked so adorable as he continued to expand my rather feeble explanation of our first encounter “When I first saw this sweet little doll, she was standing on the back of a horse, wearing a gorgeous floor length ball gown, whilst trying to climb up onto the games room sofa!” I was rather impressed at the amount of detail with which Rocky had remembered that moment, and started to realise that our first meeting must have been very different from his perspective compared to my own. I sat there listening so very intently as he continued “as soon as I saw her like that, so very beautiful and elegant, and yet determined and adventurous … and quite amusing if we’re being honest here, as the sight was kind of ridiculous. And yet I could not take my eyes off of her … I thought to myself, WOW, now that’s my kind of girl !”.

He had never told me that before, I had no idea that I had caught his attention so early on. I felt slightly guilty that my interest in him had been much more gradual, as he had grown on me more and more over the times we had spent together.

Rocky gazed at me so lovingly as he spoke, and Crystal gave out a longing sigh as she watched how very deeply we cared for one another.

“Awww, you two are so sweet, you make my teeth hurt” she declared playfully.
I was starting to feel much more comfortable and gently rested my head on Rocky’s shoulder affectionately. It was then that Crystal asked me “So come on them Ella, what was it that first made you sit up and notice that big doofus sitting next to you ?” I loved the way she was always so teasing with Rocky, and yet it was still so obvious she never meant a word of it.

The question she asked however was a little tricky to answer, especially seeing as I had never even told Rocky before, when, how, or why I first noticed him. I stared off into space for just a few moments trying to think of a way to explain things that didn’t sound as pathetic as my attempt at trying to describe our first meeting … oh, why couldn’t she have asked another simpler question ?!

“Errm … well …” I started, feeling a little on edge that they were watching me so closely, I knew that Rocky was most likely more curious than Crystal as to what my response was going to be “I guess we started out as friends” oh dear that sounded awful, quick say something else Ella … “but then Jem and Rio took us on a lovely picnic together, in the conservatory … I didn’t realise at the time it was supposed to be a, sort of, double date though” both Crystal and Rocky sounded quite amused by that comment, and I couldn’t quite believe I had said it out loud, so decided I had better carry on with my explanation quickly to try and distract them from the admission of my obvious innocence at the time.

“We had a lovely day together, and ended up climbing a tree … oh it wasn’t a tree was it, but it sort of felt like one … kind of” I was now feeling more embarrassed and flustered, but still hadn’t really got to the point. “That was the very first day Rocky held me in his arms” I continued, feeling a little shy “when we were up in the tree … I mean table … and again when he helped me climb down, he lifted me in his arms to the ground” by now the pair of them were deadly quiet, and hanging on my every word. “I guess that was probably the first time I started to think of him in a different light, as more than just a friend”.

Rocky didn’t say a word, he just turned and softly kissed my forehead and stroked my hand affectionately. What I was too afraid to add though, was that it was also when I had seen him working on the cars for the first time, with his shirt off, that my interest in him REALLY grew !! … Oooh, I felt a little swoony just thinking about it again … anyway, that was probably the first moment when I started to fancy him an awful lot, and coincidently the day he had asked me out for the first time as well! … but that wasn’t really something I felt I could say out loud right now, or ever perhaps … well you never know, maybe one day I will get the courage to tell him.
By now things were feeling so much more relaxed, Crystal and I had in fact been chatting amongst ourselves for a little while, with Rocky not really saying a word. It was then that he leaned back and said “Well, if you two will be ok on your own now, I do have a few things I need to be getting on with ?”

I know Rocky far too well though, and so did Crystal, we both knew he was just making an excuse. It was pretty obvious he wanted us to spend a bit of time alone to get to know each other better, it was plainly very important to him that we get along with one another. As Crystal was so lovely, almost like a female version of Rocky in some ways, I saw no harm in him leaving and so smiled and replied “Yes, that’s fine”.
Rocky then pulled me in close, and kissed me so very tenderly, it sent tingles all the way down my body right to the tips of my toes … oooh !!
He then whispered so very quietly in my ear “Are you sure you’ll be ok ? Coz I don’t have to go if you don’t want me to ?”.

I held his hand and softly replied “I’ll be fine, honestly, you go … really”.

“OK, if you’re sure” he said kissing my cheek so lovingly and continued with “Thanks for doing this Sweetheart, I Love you so very much!”.

“I know” I replied sweetly, we both then giggled a little, I was sort of reminded of Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, when Han Solo says ‘I know’ to Princess Leia after she tells him ‘I Love you’ … oh dear what am I like ? … I wonder if I have been watching far too many 80’s films with Rocky recently ?
“Well, I had better get going then” declared Rocky rather playfully, he had a huge grin on his face as he spoke “I guess you girls will have LOTS to say about me while I’m gone ? … and try and at least be a little nice in what you tell her Sis” he joked teasingly as he jumped down from the chair and finished with “I’ll see my two favourite girls later then!”

And just like that, he was gone … I hoped that I would not live to regret insisting I would be fine on my own, buy really how bad could things get ? … I mean its not like Crystal hasn’t already seen me when I’m not my best, is it ?!
There was no awkward silence or anything, almost as soon as Rocky had left Crystal turned to me saying “Oooh I do like that dress Ella … it looks kind of familiar though” Oh no !! … It hadn’t occurred to me before, this was one of Holly’s childhood doll dresses, oh dear, what if this gown was one that Crystal used to wear years ago ? … oh no how stupid of me !! I knew I should have worn the pink dress instead.
I glanced down feeling ever so embarrassed and fumbled a little with the skirt, I could not believe I had made such a potentially clumsy mistake … what must she think of me ?

“Oh… errrr .. I .. errr, oh!” I replied rather worriedly.
Crystal could see I was a little distressed and put her arm around me compassionately and said “Oh Ella, I’m so sorry, I was teasing you … I didn’t mean anything by it … don’t worry this wasn’t a dress I ever wore, I’m not sure it actually fitted most of us Barbie dolls anyway” She then smiled at me and added “It looks ever so lovely on you though, I bet Rocky was smitten when he saw you in that for the first time … he simply loves that Lady in Red song you know, he always dreamed of finding his own Lady in Red … and I guess he has done with you”.

I felt quite touched by her comment, and gave a shy little “Thank you” in return.
“So is this the infamous flower then ?” asked Crystal, changing the subject as she glanced down at my wrist.

“Oh yes” I replied happily “he gave it to me on our first date” I felt ever so warm and fuzzy inside when I thought about it.

Crystal then looked a little more serious as she said “You know, I have never known my Brother to do anything like that for anyone before, you are clearly ever so special to him” she then appeared slightly more sad as she continued “he was so very distraught the other weekend when he thought he had lost you, he kept pacing up and down constantly holding this little flower, not knowing what to do to get you back … it was heartbreaking to witness … I felt so bad about it”. Crystal then came over slightly teary eyed as she added “Ella, I’m so very sorry for that whole misunderstanding … but that stupid plonker of a Brother of mine, he really should have told you about me sooner shouldn’t he … what a wally, hey ?” she was now laughing a little, it was clear that just like Rocky, she used humour to defuse uncomfortable or upsetting situations.

God, I could so see now how clearly they were Brother and Sister, it was so obvious, I just wished I had noticed earlier and saved all that upset. I had to say something though, as that whole mess wasn’t her fault at all “It wasn’t your’s or Rocky’s fault” I replied ever so timidly “It was me, I shouldn’t have thought the worst of him, I should have given him the benefit of the doubt, and let him explain in the beginning”

“Well I’m not at all surprised you reacted the way you did” she protested in return “after all, it did look rather bad from your perspective didn’t it!” she was so nice and letting me off the hook, that’s just the sort of thing Rocky would have done. She then added “Well, it appears we are all just as bad as each other aren’t we ? … and I guess now everything is all sorted, we can look back and laugh about it, can’t we” she was right, in a way it was a rather funny story of how I had first met Rocky’s family … I just might need a bit more time before I could properly appreciate the real humour in the whole thing though.
Crystal was now sat right close, and linked her arm in mine saying “You know, I always wanted a Sister … but unfortunately got stuck with a Brother, Urgh!! … only kidding, he’s a sweety really, but don’t you dare tell him I said that” she was so very funny and made me laugh so much in the way she talked. “But now I guess I do have a Sister, in you, so I guess Rocky was useful for ‘something’ in the end after all” … eh ?? … Sister ? … did I just hear her right ?

“Sister ?!?!” I blurted rather suddenly, it just kind of popped out before my brain even had a chance to catch up to my mouth.

Crystal giggled at my frankness, she seemed to have an appreciation for open honestly just like her Brother. She then looked a little sneaky as she replied “Well, I know you’re not OFFICIALLY my sister ‘yet’, but as soon as you two tie the knot we will be properly related … so I’m afraid you will be stuck with me then!” she was giggling to herself, but I found this whole thing a little awkward.
It wasn’t that I didn’t like her, or the idea of her being my Sister, as in reality I think she would make an amazing sibling. It was just that Rocky and I seemed so far away from Marriage, he wasn’t even at the stage of thinking of a proposal. I felt a little sad, especially when I realised that even Rocky’s Sister was expecting that of us in the near future … it seems the only person oblivious to it all was Rocky himself … oh the painful irony of it all !

I looked down a little embarrassed by the whole thing. Crystal could not help but notice my reaction and said ever so sympathetically “Oh don’t worry Ella, he’ll ask you eventually, I’m sure of it … remember he’s a guy, it takes them longer to realise stuff than us girls” she then smiled and added “It is so very clear how he feels about you, he’s utterly smitten … you already have his heart, I’m convinced an offer of his hand cant be too far away !”.
I smiled at her confidence, but then turned to her and asked rather shyly “You wont tell him, will you ?”.

“Of course not” she replied sounding ever so insistent “Guy’s like to do these sorts of things in their own time, the more you try and push them, the more they drag their feet, so I’m not gonna say a word … I promise”.

“Thank you” I said, I was so relieved, as even though I was dying for Rocky to ask me, I really didn’t want him to think I was fishing for a proposal. For it to have any real meaning, it would have to come from him, in his own time, and in his own way … however long that would turn out to be was a mystery to me though ?

Crystal then tried to cheer me up a little saying “I hear he has asked you to live with him though, which is great … that’s a very big step for him … he’s never got anywhere close to being that serious about a girl before”.

Before ? … before ? … suddenly I was curious about what girls there had been ‘before’ me. I know it sounds daft, I mean, Rocky is a 29 year old doll, its not like I was expecting that he had spent his entire life as a hermit and never had any romance before me, its just, I hadn’t really thought about it before now. I was now wondering how many other girls he might have kissed ? Had he ever told anyone else that he loved them before me ? Had he left a string of broken hearts in his wake, I mean he could have been a bit of a player in his youth, just like Kirk ! … No scratch that, Rocky couldn’t possibly have ever been like that guy, what am I thinking ?

Seeing as how the last time I had let my imagination run away with itself about Rocky’s past, it had ended in a HUGE fight that could have totally been avoided, I decided that this was the moment to be a grown-up about things, and so tentatively asked Crystal “So … were there many … other girls, that is … before me ?”.

She had that amused look on her face, the one that Rocky gets when I ask funny little questions, as she replied “No, I don’t think there were many … and in all honesty, they were more just brief flirtations, nothing special or lasting … no one ever caught his attention the way you seem to have” I smiled as she spoke, and felt so relieved that I had been brave enough to ask in the first place. Crystal then looked at me so very earnestly as she continued “Ella, I have honestly never seen my Brother as happy, or alive, as he has been since meeting you, I am so very pleased for him, and the both of you in fact, you were clearly meant to be together !” She was so sweet, and I felt a little speechless after that lovely statement.
I think we both felt that our conversation had taken far too much of a serious turn, so to try and lighten the mood Crystal said rather bluntly “Although I still don’t get what it is you like about that daft oaf anyway ?” We both burst out laughing, and everything started to feel more relaxed and comfortable again.

“Well, he does kind of grow on you, in time” I replied playfully.

Crystal then could not resist adding “Yeah, like a fungus !” her sarcastic humour was so very funny, even though we didn’t mean a word of it, we both love Rocky a great deal, just in different ways. I adored out little bantery chat, it did almost feel as though she was my sister.

I had spent so long worrying about meeting her before hand, but Crystal was so very nice, and it was obvious that she did really appear to like me. I was so very glad about that, I mean with all the conflict with my twin sister, including her disapproval of Rocky, I’m not sure I could have taken any more sibling dramas at the moment.
As we sat there talking some more, my mind started to wander a little. I was once again thinking about Rocky’s past, and how much it had worried me, and for no real reason at all, as it seemed that there were no scary skeletons hanging in his closet as I had feared. But I also thought about all the horrible upset I had put him through over Crystal in the first place, and then about how much effort he had gone to for me, not just on our date, or mini-vacation, but also in our day-to-day lives, where he was always looking out for me. I was so very lucky to have him in my life, I doubt there is another doll like him in the whole world.

I knew then that I had to do something for him, something nice, and special. Something that would show him that I am not afraid of his past, but also that would show him how much he means to me, and how much I appreciate everything he does for me … and most of all, how much I Love him! … but what could I possibly do that he would like …?
As I turned to Crystal again, it then suddenly hit me … I knew the perfect thing, but I am not sure I could manage it alone, so decided to ask for her help.

“There’s something I would like your help with if possible ?” I asked excitedly “Its something I would like to do for Rocky”

She looked ever so intrigued as she replied “Of course, anything … so what is it you need me to do ?”

“Well …” I continued, feeling more and more pleased by my idea, as I sat there and explained everything to her that I was planning in my head.

Now, I know that you’re probably all very curious as to what my idea is … aren’t you ?? …. Well, sorry to disappoint, but you will just have to wait until I get everything sorted, and the surprise is ready for Rocky … after all we cant have you finding out before he does, can we ?!

No comments:

Post a Comment