Friday 12 October 2012

Chapter 31 - "You Can't Hurry Love" - 12th October 2012.

I decided to try my hand a matchmaking today, much to poor Jackson's dismay and irritation might I add. Mind you, as much as you cant hurry these things along, sometimes they have a way of sorting themselves out in the MOST unlikely of ways ! ...

You can find the FULL story on my facebook blog here ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.152233651598010.35433.150797015075007&type=1
 You can check out the music slideshow to this chapter on Youtube here ... http://youtu.be/GGtIfruDH_E

Chapter 31 - "You Can't Hurry Love".

Whilst I was still working on Rocky’s surprise, I had a lot of waiting to do, for things to properly come together. That left me with quite a bit of time to kill, I needed something to take my mind off everything, so I decided to pay Jackson a little visit.

I knew where he would be, this is sort of his quiet spot, where he could get a little time to himself, away from the other dolls for a while. I hadn’t seen him visiting in the wardrobe recently, in fact I don’t think he had been up there since the arrival of our new Disney girl dolls, so I felt like we did have a little bit of catching up to do. Not that he’s that talkative, but generally I have been able to get a few words and part of a conversation out of him when we have crossed paths up in the wardrobe before.

I climbed up onto the lounge sofa and waved a little to get his attention so that I could say “Hello”. He looked a little surprised that I was standing there, he must have been deep in thought again, but still greeted me with a “Hello” in return.

Somehow he didn’t come across as quite so solemn today, maybe he was in a good mood ? Well, as good a mood as Jackson gets, as to be honest his demeanour only ever shows minor fluctuations of change in emotion, so it can be hard to try and read his reactions to things.

Anyway, it wasn’t that I was playing matchmaker … well perhaps I was a little, but didn’t think it would really hurt. But it just so happened that our three new arrivals were also sitting up the other end of the sofa of Jackson’s quiet spot. I don’t know where on earth they got the idea that this place would be a good one to congregate in, ok, so maybe I do, but shhhh, you mustn’t let on !

So, Serena and Rai were having a little chat about … well actually I have no idea what they were talking about, as I was a bit too far away to hear them, but they were quite engrossed in whatever it was that they were discussing. Blanche was on her own from the others, she was sat on a little cushion trying to repair a popped seam in my Summer dress. I insisted that she didn’t need to do that for me, but she loves to keep herself busy and useful, and I really couldn’t stop her. She was humming away to herself as she undertook her little task, I think it was one of the Phantom of the Opera songs. I sort of introduced her to the soundtrack the other night, and she loved it just like me, so its nice to know that we have a passion for musicals in common.
I sat down on the pillow alongside Jackson, he didn’t invite me to, but I thought we would both feel more uncomfortable if I continued to just stand there. Although he still looked quite startled by my presence, but I guess he probably wasn’t used to having this many people around him, when he was trying to enjoy a bit of quiet time. I smiled at him a little but neither of us said a word, he isn’t really an easy guy to talk to.
I peered over at what he was holding in his hand, wondering if it was the photo of Stella again. But was pleasantly surprised to discover that it wasn’t that at all, and instead was a sheet of music, I had sort of forgotten he was a music themed doll … I know how daft is that, after all he is a Michael Jackson doll .. how dopey am I ? … oh dear ?!
I also leaned over his shoulder to check out what sort of view he had of the other girls, oh damn it ! … they were all sitting so close together again I was never going to be able to figure out if he liked a particular one of them. I really should have ensured that they were all seated far apart from one another to make my task easier, although that would have probably looked way too suspicious.
Jackson appeared to be trying to concentrate on his music as he sat there, I wondered if he was reading it ? Or trying to compose some more ? Or perhaps he was just using it as an excuse, so that he didn’t have to talk or interact with any of us ?

I kept watching him though, I was desperate to see if the girls presence would bring out a smile, or some kind of reaction in him, just like they had done the other day when he first met them. But so far … nothing, oh how disappointing !
I was a little startled when he suddenly put his music down, and turned to me saying slightly sternly “Is there something you wanted Ella ?” It was probably the longest single sentence he had ever said to me, and also the first time I had known for him to actually start a conversation.

“Oh no, I’m fine” I replied, hoping that I wasn’t sounding too suspicious in my voice.

He didn’t look at all convinced as he said rather sarcastically “Well you certainly seem like you’re up to something !”. Oh dear, I started to wonder if my brilliant plan had been rumbled ?
I hoped I could cover my tracks a little by asking him a little about how his music was going ?

“Not as well as it would be if I didn’t have all these constant interruptions and distractions” was his rather dry response, I almost laughed, I had never even realised he had a sense of humour before.

I was still ever so shocked by this whole thing, I had never known Jackson to be this, well, almost chatty … I know it doesn’t seem that much, but compared to what he’s normally like, this was the equivalent of verbal diarrhoea for him !
He then quietly turned back to his music, and I sat there observing him once more. But I get the feeling that perhaps I should have tried to be a little more subtle. Especially with what happened next …
“Look Ella, this is ludicrous!” he declared as he turned back towards me, his reaction was so sudden that I had almost leaped out of my seat, as he made my jump somewhat. “You are watching me like you are expecting me to turn into some kind of space alien … what is it you want ?”.

“Nothing” I replied rather meekly, obviously this was not part of my brilliant plan, in fact, so far the plan had not gone at well, so I was now having to make everything up as I went a long.
I started to panic a little and thought I needed to change the subject, but at the same time wondered if this might be the perfect opportunity to try and get my plan back in action.

“So, what do you think of the new dolls then ?” I enquired, gesturing in their general direction.

He instantly turned to look as I asked, it was almost as if he hadn’t noticed they were there up until now.
Jackson glanced briefly for just a few moments, before replying with “Well, they are tolerable I guess” hmmm, that wasn’t the enthusiastic response which I had hoped for, but that was probably high praise coming from him !
“Is that it?” he then asked, sounding ever so slightly annoyed “Is that what you are waiting for ? … you’re expecting me to fall head over heels for the pretty face of someone I have only just met, who I don’t know at all, and wouldn’t even have the least little thing in common with ?” … aha, so he did at least think they were pretty. But it wasn’t at all good that he was getting cross with me, oh dear !

“Well .. no, but … I” I replied feeling ever so sheepish that I had so easily been found out. I had no idea what to say next though, so thought it might be better if I said nothing.
He then came over so very fed up as he said “This is ridiculous, I have better things to be getting on with, than sitting here providing amusement for a silly girl who has nothing else to do with her time, than meddle in other peoples feelings!”

His words were so very harsh, but I freely admit that I did deserve them, this matchmaking stuff was not at all as fun, or easy as I had imagined. And in the end all I had done was make us both feel bad.

“Jackson I’m so sorry” I pleaded, as he got up and started to walk away.

I was about to say more, but what happened next was something that took us both by surprise …
Suddenly we started to hear singing, not just a gentle humming, but real full voiced singing ! I think that both Jackson and I wondered what the heck was going on ? as we turned around to see where the sound was coming from … and that was even more interesting …
Blanche, it seemed, had got so caught up in her little dress repairing task, that she was now sitting there singing away happily as she worked ... a bit of a stark step-up from the gentle humming she had started with, and even more shocking considering how quiet and softly spoken she normally was!

She wasn’t just softly singing a little Disney tune either. she was belting out “Think of Me” from the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack. Her voice was amazing and utterly captivating, she had the perfect pitch and vocal range of a soprano, and could hold a note so very well, in all honestly she could almost have given Sarah Brightman a run for her money with that song.

If you are not familiar with Phantom, or the song, then here is a link to it on Youtube … http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SF33K1ts-E

 Jackson stood there for a moment looking stunned, I know that we were both taken by surprise by it all, but his reaction seemed much more than that. He was totally transfixed on Blanche and her beautiful singing voice.
He turned around and rested on the arm of the sofa, as he continued to watch her from a distance. I couldn’t stop watching him though, and the way he was studying my little songbird friend as she continued on, she was completely unaware that she was being scrutinised from afar.
As Blanche reached the climax of her song, she hit every note perfectly, and looked so very passionate and alive as she held the very last lingering high note with utter accuracy. Her eyes were almost sparkling, and she appeared like a totally different person in that moment, it was all so very shocking, but was a wonderfully lovely surprise.
I couldn’t quite believe my eyes, and ears, as I gasped at the wondrous impromptu performance. Who would have thought that such a talent could be lurking underneath such a shy and reserved exterior ? I was also rather impressed at how quickly she had picked up the song, she could only have heard it a couple of times at most, and yet she knew every word and note, it was obviously something that came very naturally to her … Wow !!
Jackson looked just as startled and impressed as I was, but it was much more than that, I swear for a second he almost looked as though he was going to drop his music sheet. And I am sure I saw the corners on his mouth start to turn upwards, to almost make a tiny smile, as he gazed over at Blanche.
Serena and Rai clapped excitedly when Blanche had finished her little song, and it appeared as though it was only then that she realised that she had actually been singing out loud, and to an audience no less. She looked ever so embarrassed, and blushed bowing her head, I think she was now feeling overly self-conscious.
When she noticed Jackson looking in her direction she held her head even lower, and continued back on with the dress repair, she was clearly very shy about her talent. It made me wonder if she had ever actually sung in front of an audience before ? As she certainly didn’t seem to know how to react now, even with everyone being so impressed and in awe of her vocal range.
I was watching the reactions of both Jackson and Blanche so closely, that I hadn’t really noticed Rocky had now arrived. He sat himself alongside me, looked around and seemed ever so confused about what was going on, as he quietly asked me “So, what are we looking at here ? … have I missed something ?”.
I still could not quite believe the scene which had just taken place, and sort of gaped my mouth a little, gesturing at both Blanche and Jackson saying “She .. he .. and she, it was … wow”.

Rocky looked even more bewildered and laughed a little at my inability to explain anything as he said “OK … so what is it specifically that he, she was so wow about then ? … any more clues ? … or perhaps anything useful to go on ?”.

I laughed at Rocky’s playfully teasing tone, but I think if he had actually been here to witness what had gone down, he would have been just as speechless as I was.
I didn’t want anyone else to overhear what I was going to say so leaned in close to Rocky and said rather quietly “It was Blanche, she can sing … she can really sing !! … you know like the Phantom of the Opera songs, it was amazing”. Rocky still looked somewhat confused by it all, and it was then that I realised that I hadn’t really explained everything properly. “Jackson was a little cross at me” I admitted ever so uncertainly “he was about to leave, and then Blanche started singing out of the blue … it stopped him in his tracks, I was so surprised”.

Rocky appeared as though he was still trying to make sense of everything, and I must admit my explanation was a little woolly and full of holes, so he sort of backtracked a little and enquired “Hang on a mo, why was Jackson cross at you ?”.

Oh dear, this was not good, I now had to admit my awfully sneaky scheming part in this whole thing! “Well, I … errr … well …” I started, I felt ever so guilty and I knew that Rocky was not going to approve of my interference. “You, see the thing is … that … well, that … I was sort of, trying, to subtly find out what he thought … of the new girls, that is”.

“Oh Ella, you didn’t?!” replied Rocky looking ever so shocked, and slightly disappointed in me “Sweetheart, you cant go around meddling in other people’s love lives … playing with people’s feelings like that can be so dangerous, and more often than not ends up blowing up in your face, getting everyone involved hurt and upset!”.

He was sighing at me, and I really felt as though I had let him down as I responded with a rather timid little “I know”.
But even though I knew that my actions were wrong, I could not help but notice that Jackson was still standing there, his eyes transfixed on Blanche. It wasn’t that I was trying to make excuses, or justify what I had done in any way, but I felt I had to say what was going on in my mind “But look at him ?” I said to Rocky softly “I’ve never seen him look so interested in anything, or anyone for that matter”.
We then glanced over at Blanche, and caught just the brief glimpse of a second when she had raised her head, and for one tiny moment her eyes met Jacksons and she smiled a little. It was all over quick as a flash, but to me it certainly looked as though there was some kind of connection between these two … I mean the looks on their faces says it all really, don’t they ?!
Rocky then drew me closer to him as he said “Well, yes I guess he does look a tad smitten” he then sounded a little more serious as he added “but, it could be that he just admires her singing voice though, you know … you really shouldn’t read too much into these things, as sometimes they are not quite what they seem”.

“I guess” I replied, I was feeling a little sad that he could actually be right. I then felt I had to apologise “I’m sorry, I know I shouldn’t have poked my nose in … I just really wanted to see him happy again … not that I’ve ever seen him happy before, as I haven’t known him long enough … but …”

I was then interrupted with “I know what you mean my Darling, and I know you had good intentions … but in future, how about we leave the romance up to cupid, and let nature take its course, hey ?”

I guess he was right, after all my meddling had almost caused a big upset between Jackson and I, and I still didn’t know for sure if he had forgiven me for all that yet ? But I still was wondering to myself, but what if sometimes nature needs a helping hand ? What if Jackson and Blanche were perfect for one another, but neither of them had the courage to make the first move ? What if they spend the rest of their days pining over one another, just exchanging longing glances but never actually doing anything about it ? What if they did really need someone to guide things along for them ? … but I guess who am I to make that determination ? If they are meant to be together, then in the end nothing in he world will keep them apart … its just so hard sometimes watching from the sideline, but for the moment at least, I think I had better leave well enough alone.

Oh the dramas of the heart, things aren’t even any easier when its not your own feelings involved either. Sometimes life just seems so messy and complicated, but I guess that’s the fun of it, how boring would things be if everything was happy, nice and perfect all the time !? Sometimes a little drama and suspense is just what’s needed to keep you on your toes, and makes the world just that little bit more interesting to be a apart of … don’t you think ? … I just hope I don’t live to regret saying that though ?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment