Wednesday 12 September 2012

Chapter 13 - "Can't Get You Out Of My Head" - 12th September 2012.

Sometimes no matter how hard you try to get something (or someone) out of your head, they always manage to creep back in somehow ...

You can find the FULL story on my facebook blog here ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.151033208384721.35137.150797015075007&type=3
You can check out the music slideshow to this chapter on Youtube here ... http://youtu.be/YKx8RMBrfdE

Chapter 13 - "Can't Get You Out Of My Head".

Its Wednesday now, meaning I am one day closer to my date with Rocky, but still 2 more days to wait! In some ways I had almost started to wish that we had gone out that evening that he had asked me. It’s not like I am not looking forward to it, as I am, its just all this suspense was killing me inside as every day of waiting felt as it if were a week long.

OK, enough is enough, I am going to put the whole thing out of my mind until Friday! Yes, that’s it, I am not going to think about Rocky, or our date until then …. Right … yeah ok, that may be a little easier said than done, but I was determined that I was not going to let my flighty romanticisms turn me in to a blushing mute again, like it had done with Calamity yesterday.

I was still trying to talk my self into it during a little stroll around the ground floor off the house when I heard a “HONK HONK” noise in front of me. As I glanced up I saw a rather pink, and quite large looking doll car hurtling towards me at breakneck speed!

As I did a double take I realised that it was none other than my good friends Jem & Rio inside the vehicle. They were looking straight at me and stuck their arms out of the windows to wave as they drew nearer.
I decided that I had better get out of the way of the oncoming car, just in case, as I was in no mood to be run over today, especially as I had so much else on my mind, that I wanted off my mind at the minute. Oh my word what was I thinking ? I don’t think there is ever really a good day to get run over!

Anyway, as the car approached I saw Millie with her head poked right out the window screaming “Wheeeee” as the car advanced. I couldn’t help but laugh to myself, at that precise moment she reminded me so much of Calam and her “Yeee Hawww” screams whilst riding Dallas.

As the car pulled alongside me Jem stuck her head out the window to greet me.

“Hiya Ella, what to you think of our new wheels then?”

“Oh its lovely” I replied, I could not really think of much else to say about it at that point but could clearly see that they were over the moon.

“Holly found it in the loft, it was bought ages ago at a carboot sale for only a £1, but had been stuck up in the roof ever since then. When she dug it out she thought of Rio & I … so here it is” Jem smiled, I knew that cars were not her thing but I think she was excited seeing Rio so happy about their new vehicle, and I was genuinely pleased for my friends.

I was just about to ask Jem where they were off to on their test drive? when the side door on the van slid sideways and Rocky started to climb out. I had honestly not noticed that he was in there and so jumped back with quite a start, for some reason it instantly took me back to when I had made Rocky jump and he had hit his head on that Jeep a couple of days ago, its kinda funny that we keep doing that to each other.

“Hey Ella, hows things?” he said beaming away at me. This was the first time that I had seen him since the events of Monday and so I felt a slight blush starting to come over my face, whilst butterflies felt like they were starting a rather energetic dance routine inside my stomach.

“Fine thanks Rocky” I responded in a slightly shy soft tone, I was unable to hide my happiness at seeing him, and nor did I feel the need to, as my smile grew the more I looked at him.

“So what have you been up to recently ?” Rocky enquired, standing right next door to me “I haven’t seen you around much in the last couple of days” He sounded almost as if he was disappointed that he had not seen me since Monday and that gave me a warm joyful feeling inside and made my grin start to get even bigger. I looked slightly away to try and hide my smile as I did not want him thinking that I was happy about the fact that I had not seen him much.

“Oh, I’ve been around” I replied a little over enthusiastically, I then suddenly felt the uncontrollable need to justify where I had been “I went to visit Calamity yesterday, so was out in the conservatory … that’s probably why you missed me, I mean didn’t see me, not that you missed me, coz .. oh … errr” Oh my word what was I saying? he hadn’t actually said that he had missed me and yet it now looked like I was trying to put words in his mouth! Stop talking Ella, Stop talking now!!

Rocky bit his lip and looked like he was trying so hard not to laugh at my rambling outburst.

Even though I could tell that Rocky wasn’t really laughing at me, I could not look at him until I had composed myself, so after a moment of standing there like a complete lemon my salvation came when I realised that I had not said “Hello” to the other dolls in the car.

I lent down smiled at them, hoping beyond all hopes that they had not heard the conversation that had just taken place between Rocky and I. Jackson looked his usual sombre self, but it was nice to see that he was joining in, and Millie was just as bouncy and excitable as normal.

After the greetings were over with Millie looked like she was about to burst as she started almost jumping on her seat with excitement as she blurted.

“Come on Ella hop in, you have to come for a ride with us, come on Ella, it’ll be fun” She sounded like some kind of wind up toy that just kept saying the same thing over and over and would not stop.

I could see how crammed in they all were, infact it reminded me of a sardine tin, and knowing that the only seat left was the one that Rocky had jumped out of, it was plain to see that there was not going to be enough room inside for everyone.

“Maybe next time” I smiled back at them all “you lot have fun though”.

At that precise moment Rocky butted into the conversation.

“You take my seat Ella, I’ll stay behind” he was gallantly trying to come to my rescue, but I knew how much cars meant to Rocky, I was not going to let him miss out on this adventure, especially when it was with his best mate, Rio.

“I’m fine Rocky honestly, you go” I replied, hoping that he would drop it, but knowing deep down inside that he wasn’t going to.

“Ella, I insist” he was starting to sound a little more forceful

Knowing that I was going to have to try and fight fire with fire to actually get him to go, as I knew he did really want to, but was just too much of a gentleman to leave a Lady behind, I responded with a much more stern tone.

“No, I insist, please … you go and have fun”.

I started to feel that we were going to be at this for a while, when all of a sudden Jem appeared out of the side door of the van.

“Look you two” she said with a rather authoritative voice “I will stay here with Ella. Rocky, you can take the front seat as I think Rio is going to burst if he doesn’t get going soon … Right, everybody happy, good, now get going”

Rocky and I quietly stared in disbelief, but neither of us dare say anything, I mean how could we argue with that ?

Rocky hopped into the front seat and no sooner as the side door was closed, Rio sped away in his new toy.

Jem and I waved them off, I think in a way she knew that they were going to have much more fun without her, as just the guys, well, and Millie too, but she was just as bad as they were sometimes.

As Jem and I walked away I glanced back at them tearing around the corner and thought of how much Rocky would be enjoying the drive. It was then that I knew I had done the right thing in insisting that he went.

“So, are you looking forward to Friday yet ? Or are you still going to pieces about it inside?” Said Jem, it seemed rather a bold statement/question for her to make, but was obvious that Calam must have mentioned something to her about my reaction to the mere mention of my upcoming date, yesterday.

“I am excited about it, really I am” I was amazed that I had actually managed to respond to such a direct and prying question as I continued “Its just, its just … well, I am sort of really nervous about it … but soooo looking forward to it at the same time. If that makes any sense?”

“Ella, its natural to be a bit nervous, but honestly whats the worst that could happen?” she replied in a caring almost motherly tone.

“You mean apart from me rambling on saying something stupid so that he thinks I am a complete idiot? Or even worse, feeling so shy that I turn into a blithering mute and spend the entire evening saying nothing?”

“Oh Ella!” giggled Jem in response “You just need to calm down and be yourself. Rocky is crazy about you, anyone can see that, Rio says he has not stopped talking about you since your arrival”

Oh great no pressure then, thanks Jem!! was the first thought that popped into my head, although, it was kind of sweet to know that about Rocky. I decided it was best not to tell her my thought blurt, and instead simply said rather worriedly.

“But what if I don’t live up to his expectations? What if we have nothing in common or to talk about when we are alone together?”

Jem looked at me caringly as she gently replied “Look, you are over thinking this whole thing way too much, just be yourself, stop worrying, and let whatever is going to happen on the day happen”

I could see her point, and already knew that I had been letting my imagination run away with itself too much. I was just about to say something but then she suddenly added.

“And its not like you two had any problems at the picnic, did you?”

“Yeah but that wasn’t a date …. Was it ?” I replied, suddenly feeling quite startled and clueless.
Jem looked at me rather shocked and the realisation suddenly clicked in my mind. The picnic was a date! … it was a double date!! Oh my gosh, I felt like such an idiot, how could I not have realised it ? It was so obvious now looking back, just the 4 of us, without Calamity and the others, the romantic location, Rio’s teasing, everything! I am sooo naïve, what am I like ? All this time I had been making such a big deal about Friday being my first date, when technically I had already been on it without even knowing it at the time.

Upon seeing my shocked reaction, Jem felt the need to explain what apparently should already have been obvious to me.

“Rocky was tearing himself up inside, trying to get up the courage to ask you out, It was getting painful to watch. So Rio and I suggested the picnic as a way to ease the tension, so neither of you would feel the pressure of it being just the two of you, and you could get to know one another a bit better without EVERYONE else watching and listening in …. I’m sorry Ella, I thought you knew what it was”.

Once I had gotten over the shock of it all a bit, I realised that Jem had infact done me a big favour, I had been on my first date without any apprehension or worry beforehand, and thinking back to the lovely time that Rocky and I had had together at the picnic, it came to me that we could talk to each other without feeling odd, and we did (well I at least did) enjoy spending time together. It was a great weight off my mind and suddenly felt all the anxiety melt away and was just left with warm fuzzy excited feeling about this coming Friday.

When I explained everything to Jem, she smiled at me in an “aww you are far too innocent Ella” sort of way, but seemed pleased that our chat had not only cleared things up but also helped me out.

“Well then, what are you planning to wear for the big occasion then ?” she asked teasingly. She could tell by my reaction that once again, I hadn’t got a clue “Don’t worry, I’ll help you out” she continued smiling at me in such a friendly playful manor.

“What would I do without you Jem ?” I replied gratefully

“I know, I know” she said jokingly as we continued on our way.


No comments:

Post a Comment