Thursday 27 September 2012

Chapter 24 - "Come Back To My Love" - 27th September 2012.

It seems that my new admirer feels the need to plant a little seed of doubt in my innocent mind, which most certainly starts to sprout after the shock arrival of someone from my dolly-pal, Calamity's, past. And that gets me thinking ... How much do I REALLY know about Rocky ? ... 

You can find the FULL story on my facebook blog here ... https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.151114831709892.35168.150797015075007&type=3
You can check out the music slideshow to this chapter on Youtube here ... http://youtu.be/W2yjPpD7M6M


Chapter 24 - "Come Back To My Love".

Today we were all together again, and back in the gym, it had been so long since our last visit here that the room almost felt a little strange and unfamiliar, but it was nice for us all to get a change of scenery for a while.

I was still feeling a little fluffy about yesterdays events, when Rocky had asked for us to live together. It was a big step, we had talked about it a lot and decided that we weren’t going to rush things, after all there was a lot of BIG decisions to make, including the most important one, which was ‘where’ ? I know it might sound a little daft as it’s not as though we would be moving out of Holly’s house or anything, but there were still a lot of different rooms to choose from. Would Rocky move into the wardrobe with me ? or would I move in with him and the cars in the kitchen dining area ? Or would we just find somewhere else in the house to make ours ? It was a lot to think about, and it’s not as though there is any rush, so we are taking our time and considering the options so we can do it right.

A nice bit of distraction in the gym was just what the doctor ordered to give my mind a little rest bite from everything that had been going on. With that in mind, Millie had convinced me to have a go with her on the abcircle, it was like some strange kind of doll fairground attraction that spun us from side to side, and up and down the incline of the circle, almost like one of those pirate ship rides, where the boat swings back and forth getting higher and higher.

After a while on it though, I started to feel a little queasy and faint, so had to ask her to stop and give me a rest for a bit. I think she wondered what all the fuss was about ? It was as though she could have spun around on it all day without any problems, perhaps her constitution is made of sterner stuff than mine or something? who knows ? Either way I was glad when it had finally come to a halt.
I was still feeling dizzy and not totally sure of what was happening when, of all the people, Anthony decided to approach me.

“Greetings Ella” he said politely, I think he wondered what on earth I was up to on this strange contraption.

I hadn’t quite got my brain back in gear at that point, I think I must have looked a little spaced out and not with it ,as he looked at me a little worriedly asking “Are you ok Ella ? … you don’t look quite well”.
As I looked down at him, with my mind still all foggy and confused, I remember thinking that he is still very handsome, almost pretty, but somehow looked very young, like he belonged in some kind of boyband, or something. Personally I prefer older guys, like my Rocky … oh god, I forgot about that, I was supposed to sort things out with this guy wasn’t I !
My head was starting to clear a little when I finally remembered what it was that I needed have the little chat with Prince Prettyboy about. Oh no, I had to let him know where he stands, or in fact didn’t stand, with me. I had hopes that if I could clear things up a little and make him realise that I wasn’t interested then he would stop pursuing me !

I slipped down off the abcircle and onto the floor with much more grace than I normally would, in fact, usually I would have probably slipped on the floor and landed on my face. But then at least not having a clumsy moment now was a good thing, so that I could actually get down to having the chat, although in all honesty I hadn’t got a clue where to start ?

I knew he was looking at me, waiting for me to say something, but I could not quite look him directly in the face just yet. And even though I could not see myself, I got the feeling that Rocky was probably most likely watching the two of us together very closely from across the room, so I needed to get on with it and get to the point. I just needed to try and figure out what I wanted to say first … Errrmmmm ???
“Look Anthony” I started, still not having quite worked out how I was going to say this “I just wanted to say, in case there has been any confusion, that even though I’m a ‘Cinderella’ doll and you are a ‘Prince Charming’ doll … well, that doesn’t mean that we are going to get together or anything” Hmmm was that perhaps a touch too blunt ? … oh well too late now.

As I spoke the expression on his face did not alter at all, he was very hard to read, somehow that made me feel more uncomfortable as I wondered if he was really taking in what I was saying ? But I continued on anyway “You see I’m with Rocky, and we’re very happy … and … and … that doesn’t really leave room for any possibility for anything happening between you and I … if you get what I’m saying ?” I really wished I had thought about things more before I had opened my mouth, on reflection what I had said sounded so clunky and odd. But maybe it came out that way because I was still a bit dizzy from the abcircle ?

I couldn’t really tell if he was processing what I had just said, or if he just didn’t understand, as for just a second he stood there, still looking very blank.
“Ella my dear, if I have given you any cause for concern or upset then I am indeed mortified” He always sounded so formal when he spoke, it made me feel like I was quite common and unpolished, and I wasn’t quite sure I liked that he had called me his dear, that felt a little too familiar, I only liked it when Rocky spoke to me like that. Anyway he hadn’t quite finished what he was saying and so went on “I can only offer my sincerest regrets and apologies, and beg your forgiveness for any intrusion on my part … I of course understand you already have a beau, and I would not want to be the cause of any disharmony between the two of you, or do anything that would jeopardise your future happiness”.

The way he spoke was so ‘wordy’ and sounded almost old fashioned, I felt as though I needed a moment just to try and translate what he was saying in my head. I found it quite funny that I understand what Calamity says easier than this guy.

“Thank you for understanding Anthony” I replied a little shyly, for some reason I started to feel worried about the way I spoke in front of him now, I wondered how on earth he had managed to be so refined straight out of the box, and I was, well, just me ?!

“I would of course understand if you feel that any further acquaintance between us was improper or inappropriate ?” Eh ?! It took me a while but I think I figured out he was asking me if we could still me friends ?

“We can be friends” I replied hoping that I had in fact understood what he was asking before, as I added “but ‘just’ friends though”.

“Naturally” he said, looking a little pleased by my answer. It was the first glimmer of emotion or expression change that I had seen from him this whole time.
There was now a little awkward silence, neither of us seemed to have a clue what to say next. Then Anthony came a little closer and asked “Ella, if it’s not an imposition, I was just curious if you had managed to set a date yet ?”.

“Date ?? .. for what ?” I enquired feeling ever so confused.

“Why, for the Wedding of course” he replied enthusiastically.

“Wedding ? What Wedding ? who’s getting married ?” I blurted, getting more and more confused by this whole strange conversation by the minute.

“Oh, I do apologise” said Anthony, looking as though he knew exactly what he was doing as he spoke “I just assumed, as you and your beau have been making plans for co-habitation that meant he would have done the right and honourable thing of proposing matrimony first. Please accept my sincere regrets if I have caused you any further confusion or distress, I will of course drop the matter at once”.

I stood there feeling ever so unsure about what had just happened … why was he implying that Rocky was not being honourable to me ? Was there something wrong with the fact that we were planning to live together but were not married ? I hadn’t thought so before, but now I started to wonder … ?
Now, all the while I had been chatting with Prince Prettyboy, the others had been just going about their business in the gym as usual. Rocky and Rio were playing with that shake weight again, still not managing to get anywhere with it. Jackson had found a quiet spot to observe from. But Calamity, she seemed to have found something interesting in the corner.

It seems that Holly’s been going through the loft recently and had being finding out more of her old toys and dolls. This little box had been placed in the gym out of the way whilst things were being brought down but then forgotten about, so here it sat looking all innocent.

The only trouble was, the box was not innocent, it was plain to see even from a distance that it was a box with a bag load of old broken doll parts in it. Now I know that probably doesn’t seem like a big deal to you humans, but imagine if you found a box full of varying severed human body parts !!! … yeah, it’s a bit creepy isn’t it. And as such we had all given the box a pretty wide birth during our time in the gym.

That is all except Calamity, she had such an insatiable curiosity and wasn’t at all squeamish, so could not resist the chance to have a quick peek inside …

“Oh Calam, what are you doing ?” protested Jem as she watched in horror at what Calamity was up to.

“I’m jus curious, me ole bowdy miyght be in heyre” she replied getting a bit closer so that she could have a better look.

Jem rolled her eyes and could not quite believe that Calam was actually going to have a poke about in the bag. I don’t think she wanted to watch really, but she couldn’t quite take her eyes off what Calamity was doing.

“Oh my lowrdy !!!” squealed Calam, none of us were surprised though, she was digging around in a bag of body parts after all, so we were sort of expecting the screams. Buts it’s what followed next that really caught our attention.
“Gosh Amighty, it’s Reid !!!!” she hollered.

All of a sudden the room went quiet and we all looked over to where Calam was … it appeared that she had actually found a doll in the bag, and not just any doll, her Cowboy doll friend, the one she had had a little fling with back in the day !
We all just dropped what we were doing and rushed over to her to find out what was going on. Everyone gathered around the box where Reid was laying inside the bag of body bits, at that moment I think we all wondered, if he was indeed all there ? Or if it was just … parts of him ? but no-one really wanted to ask.

All except Millie that is, who peered over him asking “Is he dead ?”.

None of us could quite believe she had actually come out with that! But then that’s Millie, she doesn’t really do the ‘thinking’ thing. But in truth I think we were all wondering the same thing a little anyway ?

Rocky held me close in his arms for comfort, and I felt such a wave of sadness come over me, oh this was awful … just awful !!
Luckily in that moment Reid looked up saying “Calamity ?? … is that you?”.  We all breathed a huge sigh of relief that he was conscious.

“Yes I’m heyre” she replied looking ever so pleased, I could see her eyes were starting to water a little. It was not at all like Calamity to get emotional like this, it was quite surprising how much of an effect this whole thing was having on her.

“Well aren’t you a sight for my tire old eyes” said Reid in response. His voice was very deep and a little croaky, it had a rather old ring to it, he didn’t speak with the same ‘country’ style accent that Calamity had, but still sounded ever so Cowboy.
Calam helped him out of the box, she insisted on doing it herself and would not let anyone help even though we all offered. Considering he had been in there for the last 15 years it was impressive how quickly he found his feet and started to recover. I think we all wanted to know how on earth he had ended up in such a gruesome bag? but didn’t really feel it was appropriate to ask at that point, the poor guy had been through enough trauma as it is for the moment.

As he and Calamity stood together, I saw her face glow again, just like it had done when we had all watched her film together. It was such a magical moment, and I felt truly privileged to have been there to share the joy with my very good friend.
Realising that as Reid had been out of the loop for a while, he didn’t actually know a few of the dolls there, Calamity decided to give a few introductions.

“Thiys heres ma very goowd friend, n Rockys new girwl, Ella” said Calam, looking so pleased and proud as she presented me to her guy.

It was when I was shaking his hand that I first noticed how short he was, he wasn’t just shorter than Rocky or the other guys, he was shorter than Calam and even me! But then I guess being a 70’s cowboy doll he was not really designed to be a Barbie scale, and its not like height really matters anyway, Calamity obviously didn’t seem to mind, but I think they had so much more in common, their deep connection went way beyond their physical appearances.
“A pleasure to meet you Ma’am” said Reid, he appeared full of genuine interest and enthusiasm at meeting me, which was nice. As I looked closely at him, I noticed how old he seemed, the paint of his hair was worn and thin in a lot of places and his face looked a bit tired, and his clothes looked a little frayed and mismatched, to be honest I got the impression that these were not actually his proper cowboy clothes anyway. I did not honestly find him at all handsome, but then I guess I didn’t have to. I did notice a little mark on his cheek though, it reminded me of the one Rocky has in a similar spot and that made me smile.

Reid then turned to Rocky and happily enquired “So’s Crystal about then ?”.

Rocky looked a little awkward about the question, and didn’t say a word and I noticed Calam whisper something into Reid’s ear, he then glanced at Rocky and replied “Ahh, sorry” in a sympathetic tone.
Both guys then quickly changed the subject and went on to chat with the other dolls, to catch up with everyone else. I could not help but feel curious about who ? or what Crystal was ? … and why everyone had reacted a little odd at the mention of the word. I mean I know Rocky is a Crystal Ken doll, but in truth I had never actually asked him more about that and what it actually meant ? … now wasn’t really the time though I guess, but its something that definitely needs further investigation, to try and find out what on earth this mystery was ? … and what it had to do with my Rocky ?

As I stood there, slightly behind where the rest of the happy reunion was taking place, Millie came up to me. I was actually rather surprised she had noticed I wasn’t with everyone else.
She looked at me and said in her usual high pitched squeaky tone “Isn’t it exciting Ella, he’s back from the dead !”

I smiled at her and wanted to point out that he wasn’t actually ‘dead’ in the first place, only missing. But didn’t want to be cruel so simply replied “Oh yes, I’m ever so happy for Calam”.

“Makes you wonder though doesn’t it ?” she continued, looking as though she was actually trying very hard to think something.

“Wonder what ?” I asked, I was starting to get curious here, as this must be quite important, if whatever it was, had actually got Millie thinking !

“Makes you wonder, who else may be up there, waiting to be found?” she said. I was actually quite impressed that she had managed to think of that one before me, but then she carried on “I heard that Holly brought another box of old dolls down from the roof earlier today and is sorting through them now … I wonder who else from the past is going to make a surprise return from the grave and back into ‘their’ lives ?” and with that she glanced over to where our friends were all grouped together, chatting in such a familiar happy manner.
As we stood there, watching everyone else, I started taking in every detail of their fun, laughter and familiarity with one another, it was suddenly clear how much history they all shared together, they had literally known each other for decades. There was so much I didn’t know about them all, so much that must have happened before I had been brought into their lives ? so much I wanted to know, but didn’t quite have the nerve to ask !
It was then that Rocky spotted me standing apart from everyone else “Are you ok Sweetheart ?” he asked lovingly placing his hand on my shoulder.

“Yes I’m fine” I replied, hoping that he was too caught up in everything going on to notice that I wasn’t being entirely truthful.

You see the truth of the matter is that, the doll who’s past I was most curious about, was of course, Rocky. Somehow I suddenly had the feeling that maybe I didn’t know him as well as I thought I did. Like what is this Crystal mystery ? and why had he not told me about it ? … maybe I should have just asked him then and there to get it all out in the open ? But I didn’t really quite know how to ask … so I just smiled at him. It was lovely to see both he, and all our friends so joyous, and I wasn’t going to be the one to put a downer on Calamity and Reid’s special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment